Multiple Choice Questions Topic Outline
- MCQs in Other Navigational Methods
- MCQs in Electronic Aids to Radio Navigation
- MCQs in Distance Measuring Equipment
- MCQs in Automatic Direction Finder
- MCQs in Instrument Landing System
- MCQs in Microwave Landing System
- MCQs in Ground Proximity Warning System
- MCQs in Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System
- MCQs in Navigation by using Satellites
- MCQs in GPS, GLONASS, Galileo Positioning System
- MCQs in Radar
- MCQs in Radar Frequency Bands
- MCQs in Radar Functions and Roles
- MCQs in Radar Parameters: PRT, PRF, the Duty Cycle, Average Power
- MCQs in Doppler Effect
- MCQs in Radar Beacons
- MCQs in Range Equations
MCQs in Navigational Aids and Radar Systems Series
Following is the list of multiple choice questions in this brand new series:
Start Practice Exam Test Questions Part I of the Series
1. The minimum range of radar is primarily determined by
- a. The pulse width and the TR cell recovery time
- b. The ATR cell recovery time
- c. The overall height of the antenna
- d. The peak power output of the radar transmitter
2. Bearing resolution is
- a. The ability to distinguish two target of different distances
- b. The ability to distinguish two target of different elevations
- c. The ability to distinguish two adjacent targets of equal distances
- d. The ability to distinguish two targets of different sizes
3. Find the distance in yards to an object if the display of a radar signal measures 4.4 microseconds.
- a. 380
- b. 328
- c. 722
- d. 656
4. What device is located between the magnetron and the mixer and prevents received signals from entering the magnetron?
- a. TR box
- b. ATR box
- c. RF attenuator
- d. Resonant cavity
5. Where is RF attenuator used in a radar unit?
- a. Between the antenna and the receiver
- b. Between the magnetron and the antenna
- c. Between the magnetron and the AFC section of the receiver
- d. Between the AFC section and klystron
6. What radar circuit determines the pulse repetition rate?
- a. Discriminator
- b. Timer/ synchronizer circuit
- c. Artificial transmission line
- d. Pulse-rate indicator circuit
7. Given the pulse width of 8 microseconds and a duty cycle of 8%, determine the pulse repetition time of a radar system.
- a. 100 us
- b. 1 us
- c. 1000 us
- d. 10 ms
8. On runway, an ILS localizer shows
- a. Deviation left or right of runway center line
- b. Deviation up or down from ground speed
- c. Deviation percentage from authorized ground speed
- d. Wind speed along runway
9. Range markers are determined by
- a. CRT
- b. Magnetron
- c. Timer
- d. Video amplifier
10. The characteristic of the magnetron output pulse that relates to accurate range measurement is its
- a. Amplitude
- b. Decay time
- c. Rise time
- d. Duration
11. The minimum range of a radar is determined by
- a. The frequency of the radar transmitter
- b. He pulse repetition rate
- c. The transmitted pulse width
- d. The pulse repetition frequency
12. A circuit to develop AFC voltage in a radar receiver is called the
- a. Peak detector
- b. Crystal mixer
- c. Second detector
- d. Discriminator
13. The echo box is used for
- a. Testing and tuning of the radar unit by providing artificial targets
- b. Testing the wavelength of the incoming echo signal
- c. Amplification of the echo signal
- d. Detection of the echo pulses
14. In a radar unit, the local oscillator is
- a. A hydrogen thyratron
- b. A klystron
- c. A pentagrid converter tube
- d. A reactance tube modulator
15. What is the peak power of a radar pulse if the pulse width is 1.0 microsecond, PRR is 900 and the average plate power input is 45 watts?
- a. 50 kW
- b. 45 kW
- c. 60 kW
- d. 62.5 kW
16. Radar uses what form of energy to detect planes, ships and land masses
- a. Sound energy
- b. Visible light
- c. Infrared radiation
- d. Electromagnetic energy
17. In a pulse radar system, what component controls the timing throughout the system?
- a. Power supply
- b. Synchronizer
- c. Indicator
- d. Receiver
18. What radar measurement of an object is referenced to true north?
- a. Height
- b. Surface angle
- c. Vertical angle
- d. One-way distance
19. Surface search radar normally scans how many degrees of azimuth?
- a. 30 degrees
- b. 90 degrees
- c. 360 degrees
- d. 180 degrees
20. What limits the maximum range of a surface search radar?
- a. Pulse width
- b. Transmitter power
- c. Frequency
- d. Radar horizon
21. What IF frequency (ies) is (are) normally used in radar receivers?
- a. 30 or 60 MHz
- b. 455 kHz
- c. 70 MHz
- d. 10.7 MHz
22. What is the typical frequency range about the center frequency of a tunable magnetron?
- a. Plus or minus 5 percent
- b. Plus or minus 10 percent
- c. Plus or minus 15 percent
- d. Plus or minus 8 percent
23. What type of radar provides continuous range, bearing and elevation data on an object?
- a. Track radar
- b. Search radar
- c. Pulsed radar
- d. Doppler shift
24. What radio navigation and determines the distance from a transponder beacon by measuring the length of time the radio signal took to travel to the receiver?
- a. Radar
- b. Loran C
- c. Distance marking
- d. Distance measuring equipment
25. Which of the following is a feature of an instrument landing system?
- a. The localizer which shows aircraft deviation horizontally from center of runway
- b. The glideslope or glide path which shows vertical altitude of an aircraft during landing
- c. Provides communications to aircraft
- d. Both a and b
26. What transmission method does not depend on relative frequency or target motion?
- a. Digital transmission
- b. Frequency modulation
- c. Pulse modulation
- d. CW modulation
27. The beat frequency in a swept-frequency transmitter provides what contact information?
- a. Frequency
- b. Travel time
- c. Range
- d. Velocity
28. A self- synchronization radar system obtains timing trigger pulses from what source?
- a. Transmitter
- b. Echo box
- c. Anti-transmit and receive box
- d. Transmit and receive box
29. In externally-synchronized radar, what determines the PRR of the transmitter?
- a. Synchronizer
- b. Master oscillator
- c. Blocking oscillator
- d. Free-running multivibrator
30. Transmitter power readings are most often referenced to what power level?
- a. 1 watt
- b. 1 milliwatt
- c. 1 microwatt
- d. 1 picowatt
31. What type of radiator normally drives a corner reflector?
- a. Half-wave
- b. Despun
- c. Isotropic
- d. Marconi
32. A monopulse receiver has how many separate channels?
- a. One
- b. Two
- c. Three
- d. Four
33. How many major lobes are produced by a paraboloid reflector?
- a. One
- b. Two
- c. Three
- d. Four
34. The Doppler variation is directly proportional to what radar contact characteristics?
- a. Frequency
- b. Velocity
- c. Range
- d. Travel time
35. What is the simplest type of scanning?
- a. Single lobe scanning
- b. Mechanical scanning
- c. Electronic scanning
- d. Electromechanical scanning
36. What term is used to describe the ability of a radar system to distinguish between targets that are close together?
- a. Target resolution
- b. Bearing resolution
- c. Range resolution
- d. Angular resolution
37. Radar altimeters use what type of transmission signal?
- a. Amplitude modulated
- b. Frequency modulated
- c. Phase modulated
- d. Pulsed modulated
38. Tracking radar searches a small volume of space during which phase of operation?
- a. Scanning
- b. Tracking
- c. Searching
- d. Acquisition
39. How many active elements are contained in a magnetron?
- a. Two
- b. Three
- c. Four
- d. Five
40. Transit time might be defined as the time required for
- a. RF energy to travel through the waveguide
- b. A pulse to travel a wavelength inside a waveguide
- c. One cycle of operation to be completed
- d. Electrons to travel from cathode to anode
41. On a basic synchro system, the angular information is carried on
- a. Dc feedback signal
- b. Stator lines
- c. Deflection coils
- d. Rotor lines
42. What circuit element receives the drive voltage in a radar system’s fiber optic signal transmitter?
- a. Filter capacitor
- b. Load-limiting capacitor
- c. Temperature sensor
- d. Transistor
43. For a range of 10 nautical miles, the radar pulse repetition frequency (PRF) should be
- a. Approximately 8.1 kHz or less
- b. 900 Hz
- c. 18.1 kHz or more
- d. 120.3 microseconds
44. If the operating radar frequency is 3000 MHz, what is the distance between the waveguide and the spark gaps in older radar units?
- a. 10 cm
- b. 5 cm
- c. 2.5 cm
- d. 20 cm
45. Ship raster scan radar has a CRT with the following characteristics: 70 pixels per character, 80 character per line, 25 lines per screen and it scans 100 screen per second. What is the minimum required bandwidth for the electron beam control signal?
- a. 210 MHz
- b. 0.21 MHz
- c. 2.1 MHz
- d. 21 MHz
46. Continuous wave radar is frequency modulated with a 50-Hz sine wave. At the output of the receiver phase detector, a phase delay of 36 degrees is measured. This indicates a target range of
- a. 15 km
- b. 75 km
- c. 150 km
- d. 300 km
47. A target pulse appears on the CRT 100 microseconds after the transmitted pulse. The target slant range is
- a. 30 km
- b. 93 miles
- c. 15 km
- d. 15, 000 yards
48. A gated LC oscillator operating at 12.5 kHz is being used to develop range markers. If each is converted to a range, the range between markers will be
- a. 120 km
- b. 12 km
- c. 1.2 km
- d. 210 km
49. What type of tube best meets the requirements of a modulator switching element?
- a. Thyratron
- b. Magnetron
- c. Klystron
- d. Phanotron
50. What type of transmitter power is measured over a period of time?
- a. Peak
- b. Return
- c. Average
- d. Reciprocal