This is the Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) in Chapter 33: Computers and the Internet from the book Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, 5th edition by Stan Gibilisco. If you are looking for a reviewer in Electronics Engineering this will definitely help you before taking the Board Exam.
Start Practice Exam Test Questions
1. One megabyte is the same amount of data as:
- A. 1024 bytes.
- B. 1024 KB.
- C. 1024 GB.
- D. 1/1024 KB.
2. The Web would probably work fastest for a user in New York at:
- A. 2:00 a.m. local time on a Tuesday.
- B. 4:00 p.m. local time on a Wednesday.
- C. 12:30 p.m. local time on a Thursday.
- D. Any of the above times; it does not matter.
3. Image resolution can be specified in terms of:
- A. Megahertz.
- B. Color intensity.
- C. Wavelength.
- D. Dot pitch.
4. A cluster is a unit of:
- A. Frequency on a hard drive.
- B. Data on the Internet.
- C. Data on a hard drive.
- D. Bandwidth on the Internet.
5. An example of a mass-storage device is a:
- A. Hard drive.
- B. Microprocessor.
- C. Modem.
- D. Read-write head.
6. The character string email@example.com might represent:
- A. A Web site.
- B. The location of data in memory.
- C. An e-mail address.
- D. A computer’s serial number.
7. Bits per second (bps) is a unit of:
- A. Computer memory.
- B. Mass storage.
- C. Image resolution.
- D. Data speed.
8. A platter is a:
- A. Part of a hard drive.
- B. Unit of memory.
- C. Element of a digital image.
- D. Semiconductor chip.
9. Protocol ensures that:
- A. A hard drive runs smoothly.
- B. A monitor reproduces color accurately.
- C. A printer generates a clear image.
- D. Computers can exchange data.
10. A packet is:
- A. A computer memory module.
- B. A unit of 210 bytes.
- C. A piece of a file sent over the Net.
- D. A picture element in a computer monitor.
11. A motherboard contains:
- A. A microprocessor.
- B. An external modem.
- C. A diskette drive.
- D. A display screen.
12. Cross-referencing among web pages is done with:
- A. Digital signal processing.
- B. A modem.
- C. Internet relay chat (IRC).
- D. Links.
13. The abbreviation FTP stands for:
- A. Fast Text Packet.
- B. File Transfer Protocol.
- C. Frequency/Time Processing.
- D. Federal Trade Program.
14. A telephone modem contains:
- A. An internal hard drive.
- B. A microprocessor.
- C. An A/D converter.
- D. A printer interface.
15. An asset of a dot-matrix printer is:
- A. Low operating cost.
- B. Excellent image detail.
- C. Resemblance to a photocopy machine.
- D. Compatibility with most modems.
16. Which of the following types of mass storage provide the fastest access time?
- A. Magnetic tape.
- B. CD-ROM.
- C. Flash memory.
- D. Hard drive.
17. Which of the following is a serial-access medium?
- A. Computer memory.
- B. Magnetic tape.
- C. A hard drive.
- D. CD-ROM.
18. When computer data is sent over long-distance telephone circuits, the digital highs and lows are generally represented by:
- A. Audio tones.
- B. A series of clicks.
- C. Positive and negative direct currents.
- D. Pixels.
19. For animated graphics involving fast motion, you should ideally use:
- A. A laser printer.
- B. A hard drive.
- C. Hypertext.
- D. A noninterlaced monitor.
20. A thermal printer might be the best type of printer for:
- A. Someone who travels a lot.
- B. Someone who works with animated graphics.
- C. Someone who needs to print huge text documents.
- D. Someone who needs top-quality printouts.