Begin and Good luck!
Choose the letter of the best answer in each questions.
1. Indicate the false statement regarding the advantages of SSB over double sideband, full-carrier AM
- a. More channel space is available.
- b. Transmitter circuits must be more stable, giving better reception.
- c. The signal is more noise-resistant
- d. Much less power is required for the same signal strength
2. When the modulation index of an AM wave is doubled, the antenna current is also doubled. The AM system being used is
- a. Single-sideband, full carrier (H3E)
- b. Vestigial sideband (C3F)
- c. Single-sideband, suppressed carrier (J3E)
- d. Double-sideband, full carrier (A3E)
3. Indicate which one of the following advantages of the phase cancellation method of obtaining SSB over the filter method is false:
- a. Switching from one sideband to the other is simpler.
- b. It is possible to generate SSB at any frequency.
- c. SSB with lower audio frequencies present can be generated
- d. There are more balanced modulators; therefore the carrier is suppressed better.
4. The most commonly used filters in SSB generation are
- a. mechanical
- b. RC
- c. LC
- d. low-pass
5. In an SSB transmitter, one is most likely to find a
- a. class C audio amplifier
- b. tuned modulator
- c. class B RF amplifier
- d. class A RF output amplifier
6. Indicate in which one of the following only one sideband is transmitted.
- a. H3E
- b. A3E
- c. B8E
- d. C3F
7. One of the following cannot be used to remove the unwanted sideband in SSB. This is the
- a. filter system
- b. phase-shift method
- c. third method
- d. balanced modulator
8. R3E modulation is sometimes used to
- a. allow the receiver to have a frequency synthesizer
- b. simplify the frequency stability problem in reception
- c. reduce the power that must be transmitted
- d. reduce the bandwidth required for transmission
9. To provide two or more voice circuits with the same carrier, it is necessary to use
- a. ISB
- b. carrier insertion
- c. SSB with pilot carrier
- d. Lincompex
10. Vestigal sideband modulation (C3F) is normally used for
- a. HF point-to-point communications
- b. monoaural broadcasting
- c. TV broadcasting
- d. stereo broadcasting